Epic Stage Story celebrates the lives of those who have transformed, connected with or programmed in Highland & Island communities over the past 20 years and more. As part of The Touring Network’s 20th Anniversary year we have gathered stories from promoters, visiting performers and audience members to share the history of live events in the Highlands and Islands – from the 1970’s right up until the present day.
Thanks to funding from the The National Lottery Heritage Fund, we sent a researcher and filmmaker on a tour of the region to collect stories and footage to document the history. Their findings have now been beautifully crafted into:
- our mini-film “If We Didn’t Have All That”
- an interactive, roaming pop-up exhibition
- this expansive digital archive of stories and memorabilia
This archive is something which we hope will grow even more over the coming years and we welcome people to share their story here!
Heritage Researcher – Kerry Duncan
Film Cinematographer & Edit – Beth Chalmers
Film Cinematographer – Jassy Earl
Illustrator – Rosemary Cunningham at Illustrationetc.
Exhibition Maker – Jen Kilgour
Website Design – think.in.form
Project Conception and Coordination – The Touring Network – Jo McLean, Rhiannon McIntyre & Claire Mackay
WITH SPECIAL THANKS TO
all the people involved in the Epic Stage Story up until now – the promoters, the communities and the touring performers for making the journey to our region to experience rural touring! May it long continue!
You can find the pop-up exhibition on tour during 2019 across Scotland. We will publish its tour route below and here.
- Jan – Resolis Memorial Hall
- Feb – Glasgow Celtic Connections – Showcase Scotland Tradefair
- April – Universal Hall, Forres
- April – May – Islay
- May – An Cridhe, Coll
- June – Craignish Village Hall, Ardfern
- June – Lyth Arts Centre, Wick
- July – Aug – Lochgoilhead Village Hall, Argyll Arts Collective
- Sep – Exhibition Launch at The Gathering in Forres
- Nov – Isle of Skye – Part of the Small Halls Festival – hosted by SEALL
If you are interested in hosting the exhibition in your community or at an event, we welcome enquiries